Oops! We’re half way through June! I’m not even going to make an excuse for myself, I should be able to post something regardless of how “busy” I might be. Anyway…
After entering some recipes for the Philadelphia Cream Cheese contest, I needed a little break from contest submissions. But apparently I only needed a couple weeks! I found out about the RO*TEL Across America contest last week and decided I would enter a couple recipes. The only problem of course was that I tend to prefer baking contests, and RO*TEL (if you’re unfamiliar like I was) is canned tomatoes and chilies. Kind of tough to make cookies with that! I did make a cupcake that I will share some other time, but I wanted to share this other recipe first. Because it’s really good and you need to try it!
Scones. They’re like biscuits, but so much more fun to say! Tell someone you’re making scones and they’ll think, ‘wow, you must be a great baker.’ I was once intimidated of the scone myself, but once you realize how similar they are to a biscuit, there’s nothing to be afraid of. And that’s why I decided I’d go down the scone road in my RO*TEL recipe submission. But I didn’t want to do something crazy like throw a can of diced tomatoes into a blueberry scone! So, I came up with a savory scone – Pepperoni Pizza! I was really happy with the way they turned out – pepperoni, tomato, and mozzarella in every bite. And they are so easy! Great for a snack or cut them a little smaller before baking to serve as an appetizer…
Pepperoni Pizza Scones
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/3 cup chopped pepperoni
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 1/2 cups milk
1 can (10 oz) RO*TEL Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, drained
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. In medium mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and basil.
3. Cut butter into flour mixture with fork or pastry blender until small crumbs form.
4. Stir in pepperoni and cheese. Add milk, stirring until dough is just moistened. Stir in RO*TEL Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies.
5. Place dough on lightly floured surface. Pat into rectangle about 1 inch thick.
6. Cut dough into 12 squares. Place 1 inch apart on lightly greased baking sheet.
7. Bake 25 minutes until scones are golden brown. Serve warm.